Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Duke Hospital: Lazy About Billing, Quick to Mar Credit. Also "Clinics" are a Shameless Rip-off!

I've recently become aware of some black marks on my credit record that should never have been made. One is a delinquency of $400-plus for an MRI. It was fully covered except for the part where a doctor interprets it. Ridiculous! I had no clue I owed anything and was never billed! Another time my insurance coverage fell short by $30 on one procedure. Again, I never heard from Duke at all.

Also, I've learned to avoid their "clinics." These are for normal doctor's office visits but are located inside the hospital. The insurance company agrees it's just like any other doctor's visit, but Duke bills it as an outpatient procedure and tries to collect a few extra hundred dollars for the simplest of exams. Their methods make no sense. They send bills directly to collections, and if they fail to find you, it quickly goes on your credit history for seven years!

They have tarnished my credit history, made it so anything I do that involves credits costs much more than it should, and for what?! They have all of my contact information. Is it a staffing issue? Would they rather write it off than go after relatively small amounts of money at their patients' expense?! I avoid that place like the plague. Durham Regional doesn't play such games and they are also much nicer there. I just hope their takeover by Duke doesn't lead to their degeneration into such illogical behavior, as well.

Patricia Ladensack
Durham

No comments:

Post a Comment