Thursday, October 13, 2011

Controlled But Not Represented

I tried to vote in today's election but am not able to. Apparently county residents cannot vote for city council members--including the mayor. This seems wrong because if there is an issue with the water department or some other city function, like the one I am currently having, the people I am supposed to be able to rely on do not answer to me at all. I believe that if I was a city resident the council would still be indifferent toward my inaccurate bills but at least I could use my 1 vote toward ousting the incumbents whereas us county residents do not need to matter at all. Everyone affected by city services should have representation--even if that representation is poor.

If you live outside the city limits your elected officials don't need you or your approval--how's that for a smack in the face!


(Picture credit: maycolonb.wordpress.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment